Williamsburg in Summer

Williamsburg in Summer

Sunday, January 20, 2008

She Feels the Music!

I love music. Maybe it was last night's amazing concert that inspired me to pull out my fiddle earlier tonight, but as much as I love to play, I just don't do it much anymore. It did however, feel good to just play the fiddle for fun, and not as part of my "day job." I played for only about 30 minutes, but for much of that time, I had my eyes closed playing (and trying to remember) some of the old Contra dance tunes that I used to play. It felt so good to play that I'll try to make a little time on most days to return a little bit to the music.

When I came upstairs, Katherine was in her swing, and when she saw me come up to her, she just started smiling and laughing at me. My mandolin case was nearby (speaking of instruments that don't get played enough), so I opened the case and started playing it for Katherine. She just started laughing and dancing in her swing. Now, I admit that these days, my mandolin playing is a bit rustic, but Katherine laughs at things that she likes, so it was not like playing for grown-ups and having them laugh at my playing.



Even before Katherine was born, Papa Gallagher promised that he would sign her up for Irish step dance lessons. I think this second video just proves that she will definitely take to the step dancing. She just needs to learn to stand up first.




No comments: