Williamsburg in Summer

Williamsburg in Summer

Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Night of Fiddle Playing

Last night Josh and I went out and enjoyed a wonderful evening of fiddle music. As a Christmas gift, I bought Josh and my dad tickets to the Music Center at Strathmore to see a group of fiddle players that Josh has followed for years. And since I bought the tickets, I made sure my mom and I had the chance to go too.

One performer was Scottish fiddler, Alasdair Fraser. He was accompanied by a young, very talented cellist named Natalie Haas. They have an upbeat unique sound that I really enjoy. The duo has been a favorite of mine since Josh introduced me to them . Below is a link to one of the songs they performed last night. Natalie brings a different element to the cello, and Alsadair is an amazing fiddler.

Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas playing Valley of the Moon

Now one of Josh's favorite is Irish fiddler Martin Hayes accompanied by guitarist Dennis Cahill. Again, the duo really compliment each other. The guitar provides a unique support for the playing style of Martin Hayes. Unlike the energentic Fraser, this fiddler from county Claire is very laid back. Even the cadence of his speech and the deilvery of his jokes is slow and methodical. Yet, Hayes is equally talented in his own right. And boy - when Martin starts playing his hair flies! We had he priveldge of sitting in the 3rd row of the orchestra and could see every facial expression and wild curl as he performed. Below is a YouTube video of Martin and Dennis playing, A Peacock's Feather, one of his more subdued tunes. It's a little hard to hear Dennis on guitar, but you'll get a feel for Hayes' different style.



The final performer was American, Bruce Molsky. He's known for his Appalachian fiddle playing and banjo picking. Now Josh can tell you more about the type of banjo playing this is but trust me it's unique.

Here's Bruce on banjo playing the tune, Cider

He also played (and sang) an incredible version of the folk song Cotton Eyed Joe

The show was called Highland, Heath, and Holler. The theme was a reminder of the shared fiddle tradition that Scotland, Ireland, and America share. It was a really enjoyable night.

Merry Christmas, my love (and dad too).

I trust you enjoyed your evening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the "Merry Christmas, my Loave" is directed to Josh....but this was a fantastic gift for me too. THe time flew buy as we were amazed at the speed with which they played and the finger dexterity was truly awesome. Thanks Kim for a great idea!!
-Dad

Anonymous said...

Sorry dad, I didn't mean to slight you. I edited the post. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the night. It was special being able to treat you and mom to the concert.