Williamsburg in Summer

Williamsburg in Summer

Monday, January 19, 2009

Momma Said There Would Be Days Like This...

We have been bracing ourselves for the attack of the gastro-intestional bug that has been going around our area. I have been keeping Kate in seclusion from kids and the community trying to avoid the sickness. But it hit regardless on Wednesday night. Kate threw up from about 6 p.m. until 9:45 p.m.. Just as we were debating about whether to take her to the ER, she stopped and fell asleep. She woke up again around midnight begging for water. But we could only give her small sips every five minutes until her stomach was ready to handle the liquid. So I decided to bring her downstairs and distract her w/ Elmo while I stretched out a sippie cup of Pedialyte over one hour.

As we were going down the stairs, I missed the last step and fell. Luckily, Kate was okay – shaken but okay. I on the other hand could not walk. So despite my best efforts to keep Kate out of the emergency room, I ended up going there on Thursday morning. My foot is severely sprained but not broken. I still am having a very hard time walking; however, each day gets a little easier. Currently, carrying Kate up and down the stairs is the most challenging. Luckily, most of the time Kate is happy to climb the stairs on her own.

Josh was fabulous. He took over and watched Kate while I was in the hospital ,and when I got back he let me sleep for FIVE hours!! I woke up just in time for Josh to start throwing up! He spent most of Thursday on the floor over a bowl or in the bathroom - poor guy! Needless to say, he spent most of Friday sleeping and gaining back his strength.


I haven't gotten the bug yet, and God-willing I won't--the sprained foot was enough. We spent the entire weekend in the house. I must say, despite the mounds and mounds of laundry, all the sheets, crib padding, and more laundry - the sickness was a blessing-it was nice to have a valid excuse to stay inside this weekend. (We had arctic cold weather all weekend. So cuddling on the couch under blankets was a welcomed treat.)


We're hopeful this week will be less eventful! Historic perhaps, but no hospital trips please!


Here we are at 1 a.m. on the couch watching Elmo. My foot is elevated and on ice.
Kate is patiently waiting for her next sip of water.




4 comments:

Will and Alycia Irish said...

Kim, so sorry to hear this! =( I hope and pray you don't get sick and that your sprain recovers quickly!

Unknown said...

You all are in our prayers! I wish I could come help you guys out for a while. Love you all, ~S

Jen said...

I feel your pain!!!!!!! Tim got the bug from the nursing home last week, it was vomiting and diarrhea for 4 days and nights and passed it around though not as severe for others, I will spare you the details, just know I feel your pain and am praying for you--especially your ankle at this point!! Jen

Connie Z. said...

oh kim! if you need anything please call me. really.