Williamsburg in Summer

Williamsburg in Summer

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tag...I'm it!

Okay, this is the first I've heard of a blog "tag", but as I understand it, I am supposed to post six quirks of little known facts about myself and then "tag" six people to do the same-- which I will do formally, but I think everyone who reads this blog should leave at least one of your own quirks in our comments box for some interesting reading. So have at it:

1.) I love to sing in the car -- like really sing-- loud and off key. (No comments, Holly!) My favorite CD's for sing alongs are longtime favs such as the soundtracks to Les Miserables, Moulin Rouge, and John Mayer. My more recent favs include Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, Gavin Degraw and Daughtry. And yes, I still love John Mayer even despite the Jennifer Anniston break up and bad press he's been getting. I don't know, I just hear his voice, it's just like a friend has come over for the evening.

2.) I am the world's worst housewife. I love to cook and at one time was thought to be pretty good at it, but lately my meals have been disastrous. How do you burn pasta or ruin pancakes? I'm not sure myself, but I have! It's something about trying to cook with a one year old climbing up your leg that doesn't work so well. But besides my poor food these days, I can't clean to save my life. I never have. (Sorry, mom!) I don't know where to even begin some days. I spot clean at best to keep up appearances, but my house is so dirty and I truly wish that wasn't so. Holly, can you teach me how to correctly clean a bathroom?

3.) I love the wind. There is something magical about the gentle breeze that caresses your cheek or the power of a wild gust that moves your entire being. I remember breezy summer nights at my parents house sitting on their porch in the darkness and not feeling alone when the wind was there.

4.) I love daffodils in the spring. Tulips have always been my favorite flower, but I am moved when I see a cluster of daffodils dancing in the breeze. I attribute my fascination to a Wordsworth poem I studied in college. But still, to this day, I pause and take in the scenery of spring daffodils dancing in the sunlight.

5.) I could live in Ireland. There are days when I wish I did. Have you ever gone somewhere and knew you just belonged there? That's how I felt in Ireland-- it was like coming home.

6.) I love books! I have huge collections of classical hardcover books that are unfortunately hidden in our attic until I have that grand library I've been dreaming of. I collect cooks books too, but only cookbooks from chefs that I highly respect or of specific regions of cuisine. (I do have these on display in my kitchen.) And I collected kids books long before Kate ever arrived. Dr. Seuss is a favorite in the kid genre, but he takes second place to the endearing Toot and Puddle! My favorite Toot and Puddle adventure is Wish You Were Here!

That's my six quirks. I officially "tag" Holly, Jen G., Sarah H., Jecholia, Alycia and Christy. But even if you're not on the tag list, go ahead and leave a quirk for us all to read.

6 comments:

pianogirl said...

Thanks for playing Kim! I can't believe you haven't heard of blog tag. This version (quirks) is actually a pretty easy one compared to some I've seen. Anyway, it's fun to get to know a little more about you. We have a lot in common, although I think Dr. Seuss is my #1 favorite!

Holly said...

Toot and Puddle! They get my vote!

ali said...

Yay for childrens books! i've collected them for years as well....maybe b/c my mom was a childrens librarian.... thanks for sharing:)

sarah said...

hey lady!

i completed the challenge!

Will and Alycia Irish said...

So I've been tagged, huh? Not sure I have any...totally kidding!! =)

Jen said...

I love your blog--and even your worst day cooking and cleaning you're undoubtedly way ahead of the rest of us--I will ask Josh for a more objective view :)
Love,
Jen G.